MANHATTAN FRIENDS MEETING

The Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) 'a small group of Friends in a big city'

8.22.2005

Message - 8th Month 21, 2005 (August 21)

Friends hear a message about choices we make when God calls us, or 'finds us'. Friends read passages from John 15, and Matthew 20.

Joshua 24:15 - And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. (KKV)

Isaiah 65:12 - Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not. (KJV)

John 15:16 - You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (RSV)


Friends also hear readings from 'The Quaker Doctrine of Inward Peace' by Howard Brinton. Friends are shown life patterns in Quaker Journals, or spiritual auto-biographies, over hundreds of years where Friends come to inward peace - which is needed before outward peace is possible - when they make a choice to obey the Light of Christ within.

addtional reading:
Samuel Caldwell, former General Secretary of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, gave a speech at Pendle Hill, PA, entitled - The Time has come to Choose

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home